Varicose vein pain is a common and often uncomfortable symptom experienced by individuals with varicose veins. These enlarged and twisted veins can cause a range of sensations, including aching, throbbing, and a feeling of heaviness in the affected areas, most commonly the legs. In some cases, individuals may also experience burning or itching sensations. Varicose vein pain tends to worsen after prolonged periods of standing or sitting, as well as during hot weather. The pain can significantly impact one’s daily activities and overall quality of life. Fortunately, there are several ways to find relief from varicose vein pain until you can seek treatment.
TAKE OUR QUIZ TO EVALUATE YOUR VEIN HEALTH
How to Relieve Varicose Vein Pain
Here are eight tips from our vein specialists to help you achieve pain relief:
- Elevate your legs: One of the most immediate ways to alleviate vein discomfort in your legs is to raise them above your heart. This allows blood to flow more easily towards your heart instead of pooling in your legs, ankles, and feet. This generally leads to varicose vein pain relief.
- Get moving: If you have varicose veins, you may already know that long periods of sitting or standing in one position can lead to pain. These positions can also worsen other vein disease symptoms like swelling, itching, and that uncomfortable feeling of heaviness.
- Avoid tight clothing and wear comfortable shoes: Restrictive clothing that can impact normal blood flow. Perhaps more importantly, you’ll benefit by being smart about your footwear. Always wear comfortable shoes, particularly if you will be on your feet for long periods. Always wear comfortable shoes, particularly if you are going to be on your feet for long periods.
- Try water therapy: Walking in a swimming pool can be soothing. Soaking or showering your legs, ankles, and feet in cool water can help relieve any swelling and discomfort.
- Drink fluids: Getting enough water promotes blood circulation, which can, in turn, alleviate your painful varicose veins.
- Wear compression stockings: Your doctor may recommend that you wear compression stockings for varicose vein pain relief. If you decide to wear these garments, be sure to get your legs properly measured. This will help ensure the best fit, greatest level of comfort, and most effective pain relief.
- Watch your diet. Eating foods high in sodium can result in increased water retention and varicose vein pain. On the other hand, eating foods rich in potassium can help resolve these issues. If you want varicose vein pain relief, keep an eye on a balanced diet.
- Consider varicose vein treatment. The most effective way to relieve varicose vein pain is through treatment. If you’ve avoided vein treatment because you don’t want to have surgery, we certainly understand. However, with improved non-surgical techniques, surgery is rarely required for varicose vein pain relief.
At USA Vein Clinics, our vein specialists offer a variety of minimally-invasive, office-based procedures to treat your varicose veins. Our FDA-approved techniques take only 15 to 30 minutes and offer a quick recovery. In fact, most patients can immediately return to normal activities.
Common symptoms of vein disease include:
- Swelling in your legs and ankles
- Cramps or achiness in the thigh or calf
- Tired or heavy legs
- Restlessness, especially at night
- Itchy, dry, or hardened skin on your legs
- Wounds on your legs or ankles that take a long time to heal or don’t heal at all
- Leg pain that goes away when you walk or elevate your legs
Although varicose veins don’t just go away on their own, you can take action to relieve pain caused by varicose veins.
Why Should You Consider Vein Treatment for Vein Pain
Keep in mind that the following recommendations provide only temporary pain relief. If you are experiencing pain and discomfort, it may be time to consider varicose vein treatment. At USA Vein Clinics, we offer minimally-invasive, office-based procedures that can effectively treat your varicose vein leg pain.
Here are some reasons you should consider vein treatment:
- The severity of your symptoms.
- Improving your overall health.
- The ability to be more active.
Our varicose vein treatments include:
- Endovenous Laser Therapy (EVLT)
- Varithena Vein Treatment
- Ultrasound-guided Sclerotherapy
- ClariVein ® Treatment
- Visual Sclerotherapy Injections
- VenaSeal™ Treatment
- Radiofrequency Ablation (RFA) Treatment
Discover Effective Varicose Vein Pain Relief at USA Vein Clinics
We offer over 160 state-of-the-art clinic locations across the country. We believe that everyone has the right to accessible, convenient, affordable vein treatment. Our services are typically covered by most major health insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid.
There’s no need to suffer from varicose vein pain any longer. If you’d like to learn more about how our treatments can provide varicose vein leg pain relief, please contact us. You can call (888) 768-3467, visit one of our clinic locations, or schedule an appointment online.