Whether you suffer from the effects of varicose veins, spider veins, restless leg syndrome, or other venous problems, you may be interested in exploring your vein treatment options. Visible veins are not only a cosmetic concern, they may also be a sign of underlying vein disease.
Vein disease, also known as venous insufficiency, can lead to difficult symptoms including leg swelling, cramping, achiness, itching, and fatigue. Unfortunately, these issues do not usually go away on their own. Instead, vein symptoms can worsen over time, eventually impacting your quality of life. Along with causing pain and discomfort, vein disease can place you at increased risk for dangerous health conditions like deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and venous ulcers.
Some patients avoid vein treatment because they fear surgery. While vein-stripping surgery used to be commonplace, we want you to know that it is rarely performed anymore. At USA Vein Clinics, our vein specialists now offer a range of minimally invasive, office-based treatments that can quickly alleviate vein-related pain and discomfort.
Below, we discuss your vein treatment options, along with what to expect before, during, and after nonsurgical leg vein treatment. For personalized recommendations, we suggest visiting one of our leading vein specialists.
Minimally Invasive Vein Treatment at USA Vein Clinics
At USA Vein Clinics, all of our minimally invasive vein treatments are performed as outpatient procedures. In other words, you can receive expert vein treatment in a comfortable office setting without staying overnight in a hospital. After treatment, you can go home and resume most normal activities.
Most vein treatments can be performed in under an hour, from start to finish. The actual procedures take between 15 and 30 minutes. Before getting started, your targeted area will be numbed with a local anesthetic to minimize any potential discomfort. Afterward, our patients do not require stitches and go home with only a bandage.
Depending on your individual case, your vein specialist may recommend one or more of the following vein treatment options:
Endovenous Laser Therapy (EVLT)
For over a decade, EVLT has been considered the gold standard for treating varicose veins and other symptoms of vein disease. With real-time ultrasound guidance, this leading-edge laser vein treatment involves a skilled vein specialist inserting a very thin laser fiber into the targeted vein. Then, laser energy is applied to heat up and close the diseased vein.
Immediately after, blood flow is naturally rerouted to surrounding, healthy veins. Over time, the treated vein(s) will be reabsorbed by your body.
ClariVein® is another non-surgical vein treatment used to treat venous insufficiency. This unique, catheter-based technique simultaneously uses mechanical and chemical methods to seal off damaged veins. Unlike other types of treatment, the involved catheter has a rotating tip at one end.
Patients are able to immediately return to most normal activities after the ClariVein® procedure.
Visual Sclerotherapy Injections
Spider veins are usually treated with Visual Sclerotherapy. Sclerotherapy is a common leg vein treatment used to treat spider veins that are close to the surface of the skin. During Visual Sclerotherapy, a vein specialist guides a tiny needle into the targeted vein, then administers a sclerosant solution. The solution intentionally causes the inner lining of the vein to close and seal the vein. Then, as with other treatments, your healthy surrounding veins will quickly take over blood supply.
Ultrasound-Guided Sclerotherapy is used to treat varicose veins near the skin’s surface. After locating the diseased vein with real-time ultrasound imaging, your vein specialist determines the best possible injection site. Then, a sclerosant solution is administered directly into the vein.
This popular treatment can offer patients immediate relief from their symptoms, along with requiring little to no downtime.
Varithena Vein Treatment
Varithena Vein Treatment uses a special foam to treat venous issues associated with the Great Saphenous Vein (GSV) and surrounding veins. During this minimally invasive leg vein treatment, a vein specialist uses ultrasound imaging to guide a small catheter into the diseased vein. Foam is then administered through the catheter.
As with other non-surgical methods, the targeted vein quickly becomes irritated and collapses, allowing healthy veins to take over.
Our latest vein treatment, VenaSeal™, provides immediate varicose vein closure through the use of a specially-formulated medical adhesive. With the help of real-time ultrasound imaging, a small amount of adhesive is delivered through a catheter into the targeted vein.
Once sealed off, blood flow is automatically rerouted and a bandage is placed over the injection site. After VenaSeal™ treatment, patients do not usually need to wear compression socks to aid healing.
What to Expect Before Vein Treatment
Now that we have discussed your minimally invasive vein treatment options, you may be wondering how to get started. At USA Vein Clinics, we make it easy. The first thing you need to do is schedule an initial consultation with one of our skilled vein specialists.
During this visit, your doctor will perform a physical exam, evaluate your leg veins for signs of vein disease, and, if necessary, make vein treatment recommendations. We suggest coming prepared with details about your medical history, current medications, and state of your overall health.
For example, your vein specialist may ask:
- What medications (prescription, over-the-counter, and supplements) do you take?
- Have you had any recent illnesses?
- Do you have any other medical conditions, such as diabetes or high blood pressure?
- What surgical procedures have you had, and when did you have them?
- Do you have any allergies?
- Have you had any previous vein treatments? If so, how successful were they?
On the day of your procedure, you should avoid shaving and using lotion or moisturizer on your legs. You can wear something loose and comfortable to your appointment. Although sedation is not necessary, some patients choose to bring along someone to drive them home.
What to Expect After Vein Treatment
Although you can return to most normal activities immediately following vein treatment, there are several important things to avoid. These include showering within the first 24 hours, soaking in a tub or swimming during the first week, and performing any type of strenuous exercise before your doctor approves it.
Additionally, your vein specialist may ask you to wear compression socks for several days to several weeks after vein treatment. This can help alleviate swelling and discomfort, promote better healing, and reduce your risk of developing post-treatment blood clots.
After vein treatment, you can look forward to:
- Less pain, if any
- Less swelling, if any
- The ability to stand for longer periods of time
- The ability to walk greater distances
- Improved quality of life
Preventing Additional Venous Issues
While you probably can’t make varicose and spider veins disappear without vein treatment, you may be able to prevent the need for additional treatment in the future.
We generally recommend:
- Be active: Physical activity promotes better blood circulation. If you already exercise regularly, consider increasing your activity. If you are sedentary, perhaps you can get started with daily walks. Along with getting enough exercise, avoiding prolonged periods of standing or sitting can benefit your veins.
- Maintain a healthy weight: Losing excess weight can help reduce your risk of developing varicose veins and other varicosities. If you need help achieving your goals, talk to your doctor about recommended weight loss programs.
- Eat a well-rounded diet: Your daily diet should include plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins, low-fat dairy products, and healthy fats. We also recommend avoiding or limiting alcohol, caffeine, added sugar, sodium, and smoking.
To learn more about maintaining healthy veins after treatment, talk to your vein specialist.
Benefits of Vein Treatment at USA Vein Clinics
There are many important reasons to choose USA Vein Clinics for your vein treatment needs. Some of these include:
- Expertise: Our vein specialists are skilled and experienced at performing minimally invasive vein treatment. They are also empathetic, trusted, and highly recommended.
- Convenience: We perform non-surgical vein treatment at over 100 clinic locations nationwide. We also offer virtual doctor visits, giving you convenient access to leading vein specialists from the comfort of your own home.
- Affordability: Our leg vein treatments are typically covered by most major health insurance plans, including Medicare and Medicaid. We are happy to work directly with your insurance provider to save you some hassle, maximize your benefits, and allow you to get the medical help you need.
Schedule an Initial Consultation with USA Vein Clinics
At USA Vein Clinics, we don’t want you to suffer from vein pain and discomfort any longer. Instead, we encourage you to seek vein treatment before your symptoms become even worse.