If you suffer from the effects of varicose veins, you may be considering vein treatment. If so, we recommend scheduling an initial consultation with one of our highly skilled vein specialists. During your appointment, you can get all of your treatment-related questions answered. Our leading experts will take the time to thoroughly answer each question, along with providing personalized treatment recommendations.
Below, we provide 14 questions to consider asking during your appointment, along with some general information about each one.
Questions to Ask Your Vein Doctor Before Treatment
1. What are the benefits of treatment?
You may benefit from vein treatment if you suffer from varicose veins, spider veins, or other venous issues. There are several major benefits of modern varicose vein treatments.
- You’ll suffer less pain: If your varicose veins are causing pain or discomfort, opting for treatment can alleviate venous symptoms like leg swelling, cramping, itching, and fatigue.
- Your appearance will improve: Many of our patients report feeling self-conscious of visible varicose veins. Some may even avoid wearing certain types of clothing, including shorts and skirts. Vein treatment can dramatically improve the appearance of varicose veins, allowing you to comfortably wear whatever type of clothing you desire.
- You can live a more active lifestyle: Whether mild or severe, there’s little doubt that venous symptoms can slow you down. In some cases, issues like leg pain and swelling can even be debilitating. After vein treatment, many of our patients are able to become more physically active, which reduces their risk for additional venous issues.
- You’ll get better sleep: Do restless legs or leg cramps keep you up at night? Many people discover that vein treatment improves their quality of sleep. This especially matters because better sleep benefits not only your veins, but also your heart, lungs, and overall health.
2. How does vein treatment work?
While treatment techniques vary based on the location and severity of targeted veins, all of our minimally invasive, office-based treatments have a similar goal. We aim to seal closed any diseased veins, rerouting blood flow to healthy, surrounding ones.
Many patients experience symptomatic improvement soon after treatment, though you may need to wait several weeks to several months for maximum effect. Over time, your treated veins will be naturally reabsorbed by the body. They do not need to be surgically removed.
3. What are my vein treatment options, and how is the decision made to use one over the other?
Your vein specialist will first evaluate your vein health, then make treatment recommendations based on the location and severity of your varicose veins. All of our minimally invasive treatments are performed as outpatient procedures, meaning that you won’t need to deal with surgery, a hospital stay, or a lengthy recovery.
At USA Vein Clinics, we offer the following treatments:
- Visual Sclerotherapy
- Ultrasound-guided Sclerotherapy
- Endovenous Laser Therapy (EVLT)
- VenaSeal™ Treatment
- Varithena Vein Treatment
In some cases, more than one treatment may be necessary to achieve desired results.
Connect With Vein Specialists Near You
Where do you need a vein specialist?
4. How do I prepare for vein treatment?
Before vein treatment, it is vital to share all relevant medical information with your doctor. This includes discussing your complete health history, any medications that you are currently taking, other health conditions, and past vein treatments. Before treatment, you may be asked to avoid taking certain medications, such as blood thinners.
On the day of your treatment, do not shave your legs or use any lotions or moisturizers on the targeted areas. Feel free to eat a light meal and hydrate well before coming in. While you are welcome to bring along a companion for support, most patients can drive themselves home.
5. How long does vein treatment take?
At USA Vein Clinics, your entire treatment experience should take less than an hour, from start to finish. Depending on the number of veins being treated, your actual procedure should take between 15 and 30 minutes. Afterward, most patients can leave immediately and return to their normal daily activities.
6. Is vein treatment painful?
Minimally invasive vein treatment is generally tolerated very well. Our treatments are performed under local anesthetic, numbing only the targeted area. The majority of our patients experience little, if any, pain during treatment. Some patients report mild discomfort or a stinging sensation.
You will remain awake and alert during the entire procedure. General anesthesia is unnecessary.
7. What can I expect during vein treatment recovery?
You will be sent home with a bandage over the injection site. Some patients experience temporary treatment side effects like mild swelling, tenderness, redness, or bruising. This is normal and should resolve within 1-2 weeks.
After treatment, you may need to wear compression socks for a while to boost circulation and aid your healing. It is important to wear these garments as prescribed, especially during the first 24 hours.
Depending on initial severity, you can expect to see symptom improvement within a few days to a few weeks. If you have any concerns about your healing after treatment, please don’t hesitate to contact your vein specialist.
8. Will I need to wear compression socks?
After many types of vein treatment, compression socks are recommended for a set amount of time. Compression socks are typically unnecessary after Venaseal™ treatment.
There are many benefits of compression socks. Along with promoting blood circulation and aiding your recovery, compression socks can alleviate venous symptoms, prevent additional varicose veins from developing, and reduce the risk of dangerous blood clots.
9. Does health insurance cover vein treatment?
Most major health insurance plans cover vein treatment, including Medicare and Medicaid. For detailed information on your plan, contact one of our financial specialists at 888.768.3467. We can help determine your exact benefits and fill out the necessary paperwork for treatment approval.
10. Where is vein treatment performed?
At USA Vein Clinics, our minimally invasive vein treatments are performed as convenient outpatient procedures. We offer treatment at over 100 locations nationwide. Each of our clinics offer state-of-the-art facilities in easy-to-find locations.
11. Can I drive myself to and from treatment?
Most of our patients can drive themselves to and from treatment. Some patients ask a friend or family member to drive them or come along for added support. You are welcome to do whatever feels most comfortable to you.
12. How do I choose the right vein doctor?
When deciding on your vein specialist, it is important to look for a doctor with experience, compassion, and accreditation is important. At USA Vein Clinics, our vein specialists are highly experienced at performing a range of minimally invasive, office-based vein treatments. Additionally, our entire patient care team is composed of compassionate individuals who truly care about improving your quality of life.
Finally, our treatment centers are accredited by The Intersocietal Accreditation Commission (IAC) for Vascular Testing, an organization that evaluates patient care at imaging facilities and hospitals specific to vascular testing.
13. How can I reduce my risk for developing additional vein problems?
We understand that you would like to avoid varicose veins and other venous issues in the future. You should know that certain lifestyle changes, including losing excess weight, exercising regularly, and quitting smoking, may be beneficial towards reducing your varicose veins risk.
Anyone with a personal or family history of varicose veins may also benefit from close monitoring by a vein specialist. They can regularly evaluate your vein health, along with offering personalized treatment recommendations when necessary. Keep in mind that early treatment generally leads to the best health outcomes.
14. Why should I choose USA Vein Clinics for vein treatment?
USA Vein Clinics is one of the country’s leading providers of vein treatment. We offer experienced, compassionate vein specialists who will be with you every step: from diagnosis to treatment to continuing care.
Our experts provide a range of state-of-the-art vein treatment options at over 100 convenient locations nationwide. All of our clinics are accredited by the IAC and provide a high standard of patient care.
Schedule a Consultation with USA Vein Clinics
At USA Vein Clinics, our vein specialists perform minimally invasive, office-based treatments for varicose veins, spider veins, and other venous issues. If you are ready to get started on your journey towards better vein health, schedule an initial consultation online or give us a call at 888.768.3467.